So seven days into the new year, what’s going on?
Well it’s bloody cold here, night time temperatures of minus 14 in my back garden, snow on the ground, ice on the pavements, schools closed.
England have managed a draw in the third test against South Africa, thanks to a sterling last stand by Graham Onions for the last eleven balls of the match, leaving England one nil up and one to play, so we have at least earned a series draw, a win in the last match at Johannesburg will see a series win, I just hope that is what England will strive for, I’d rather see a conclusive win at that venue by one side or the other than a wishy-washy draw.
What else is going on?
I marvel anew every time I venture on to NP at the insular attitudes of our cousins across the pond.
It doesn’t matter how many interest articles are put up about events in the world, if the event doesn’t include or impact said cousins, the level of indifference displayed (made manifest by the lack of views and recs) is as close to complete intelectual and moral apathy as you would be likely to find outside of a minor counties match result at start of season.
Sat and watched an excellent presentation by Walid Khalidi, available on you tube here
For the article that the link was posted on there were just 67 views and 4 recommendations, with 6 comments, one of those was mine, another the posting of the videos.
Compare that with a much more recent article about a passenger being taken off a flight from Miami to Detroit for racist remarks, which attracted 128 views and 58 recommendations, with 4 comments in just 6 hours, or the story of a shooting in St. Louis, Mo, which left 3 dead, which attracted 851 views, 44 recommendations and 10 comments in 7 hours.
And you wondered why the tabloid main stream media do so well?
People are dying every day, from hunger, cold, disease…… all preventable….but not AS preventable as the deaths from war and greed.
Then compare the stories out of the US with one by a journalist from Pakistan – about the treatment of women displaced by the unrest, and abandoned by her husband who chose to take another wife, this story attracted just 23 views, 2 recommendations, and one comment (mine!).
Good luck in this year ahead Habib!
- @BBC Why do you keep changing my #homepage I set it how I want it and you keep adding rubbish I don't want. Please just leave it alone FFS! 6 months ago
- RT @GiselleG7: Pretty sickening hearing MPs say they'll vote for something they think will be catastrophic. WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOU? #brex… 6 months ago
- @Dawn_French Really enjoyed watching your show tonight, having grown up in the same era as you, I can relate to so much. Thank you :-) x 7 months ago
- "Unbelievable service" on ParcelHero fee.fo/bp92TU via @Feefo_Official 8 months ago
- @bbc5live pretty scary listening to Steve Nolan on USA, seriously.....I thought we had problems here!!!! 8 months ago