After all the news stories from the last year, detailing the miseries and woes of humanity, will it improve this year, can it get any worse?
I’ve sat here the last few days reading the articles posted by people living in war torn countries. Two in particular this evening really made me see red.
The first was the bombing of a volleyball match in Shah Hasan Khel district Lakki Marwat in the NWFP Province of Pakistan, at last count there were 60 dead, with the numbers likely to rise. It seems likely that the attack was in retaliation for the attempts by the local militia to expel the militants, and the local peace commitee set up to campaign against the violence.
Reading that brought my attention to a peice by a young lady in that part of the world, about the bombing by militants of girls schools by the militant fundamentalists, and killing of women teachers.
Two harrowing stories from a region where the majority of people want peace within their borders and with the rest of the world.
What is even more annoying is the fact that these militants began primarily as a result of the USA interfering in the region when Russia were occupying Afghanistan, and the USA saw fit to arm and supply the militants to help them fight the Russians…..wonder how loudly the Americans would scream if the reverse happened now?
What those villagers could do with is a physical barrier to keep the militants out….hmmm well how about, this is just a thought mind, taking those monstrous walls of concrete being used to imprison the Palestinians in Gaza, and put them to a just use in Pakistan?
Anyway, good luck to some very lovely people in that region of Asia, I wish I could do more to help.
So, on to the cricket, Australia won the test in Melbourne against Pakistan, England won the second test in Durban against South Africa, an emphatic win, the first for England on that ground since 1964, and now lead the 4 match series 1-0 with two to play.
If only we could explain the rules of cricket to militants and world powers…maybe they would start to get a sense of fair play then?
- Bit unfair on Notts Outlaws seeing as they won #bbccricket #t20finalsday https://t.co/IOGtkd6fwI 2 months ago
- @BBC Why do you keep changing my #homepage I set it how I want it and you keep adding rubbish I don't want. Please just leave it alone FFS! 9 months ago
- RT @GiselleG7: Pretty sickening hearing MPs say they'll vote for something they think will be catastrophic. WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOU? #brex… 9 months ago
- @Dawn_French Really enjoyed watching your show tonight, having grown up in the same era as you, I can relate to so much. Thank you :-) x 10 months ago
- "Unbelievable service" on ParcelHero fee.fo/bp92TU via @Feefo_Official 11 months ago